From MRL Wiki
Vulnerability Mapping is the process of mapping specific security attributes of a system to an associated vulnerability. There are several approaches:
- Manually mapping system attributes to known vulnerabilities.
- Develop custom exploit code to a newly discovered vulnerability.
- Use automated vulnerability scanning tools.
There are several important point to keep in mind when performing vulnerability mapping:
- reconnaissance against the target system
- map discovered attributes to known vulnerabilities and exploits
- identify and select key systems
- enumerate and prioritize potential points of entry